Setting Safe Search as the default home page across your whole school
Creating a Group Policy Object (GPO) to set Safe Search as your Homepage
- Open Group Policy Management Console – It is found under Administrative Tools on the server Start Menu
- Right click on Group Policy Objects and select New
- Name the policy “Users – Set Homepage” – This will be a user policy rather than a computer policy, using a meaningful description will help administration later on.
- Right click on the policy and select Edit. The Group Policy Editor will now open.
- Browse through the tree structure to display Important URLs in the right hand side of the browser
User Configuration > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance > URLs
- Right click on Important URLs and select Properties
Enter the following address for the homepage URL into the dialogue box
- Click on Ok and close the Group Policy Editor
- Within the Group Policy Management Window browse to the Organisational Unit containing your school users
- Right click on the Organisation Unit and select Link an existing GPO.
- Select your new GPO from the list and click Ok
- Your new GPO is now linked and will be applied to the users contained within the Organisational Unit you selected
Please be aware if you have another GPO applied at a higher level, for example in the Default Domain Policy settings may not be applied as anticipated. This can happen if you have two conflicting GPO’s. For example if you have two policies to set the homepage, one using www.bbc.co.uk and another using www.google.co.uk, one of the setting will take precedence.
What is Primary Games Arena? 100’s of Interactive Learning Games for Primary Schools (not web2 – just content)(Kids compete against each other using scoring API (is web2))
Visit the Primary Games Arena website
What is Flame Painter? Thanks to @AngeRichie Making firework pictures?? Flame Painter is Fab and free!
Visit the Flame Painter website
What is Geni? Online family tree maker – have used this with kids to make Henry VIII’s family tree Thanks to @chrisleach78
Visit the Geni website
What is Voicethread? Upload a picture, then talk about, or write a comment, and share – everyone can add to the discussion, you can even draw on the images Thanks to @skambalu
Visit the Voicethread website
What is Tag galaxy? Visual ‘world’ created by image search. Needs flickr to be unblocked to be worthwhile Thanks to @primarypete_
Visit the Tag galaxy website
Want to find a video that you can use in your classroom? Try the Video Search feature available on Safe Search
Want to get at safe video content in your primary school classroom? Want to be able to search through millions of video clips to find appropriate short, supportive video material? POW! 2011 is the year for you!
We built Primary School TV using our Safe Search technology and after thousands of hours talking to teachers, coding, designing we are proud to announce that our closed beta tests have gone well and our cluster is ready for you to embark.
Primary School TV currently sources video from BBC Learning Zone, BBC iPlayer, How Stuff Works and Youtube.
Due to unbelievalbly huge demand we are moving Primary School Safe Search to its own domain, this way we can move it from the Primaryt.co.uk website.
We believe this URL is more appropriate and it allows us to treat the safe search as a seperate entity.
We will keep an old version of the safe search online.
The move will take place in the last week of May and will be completed before the kids return back after 1/2 term.
Hope you are all having a lovely holiday!! Time to go trim my hedge..